This guest post is written by Gemma Grange. Many of the couples who get married in Central Park also stay in New York City for their honeymoon. Gemma shares her suggestions of some great honeymoon experiences in New York.
Couples from all around the world head to New York for the wedding of a lifetime… for few things can be quite as romantic as Central Park in the Spring time – think the picturesque Wagner Cove, with its bevy of couples falling in love all over again as they row beneath the gracefully arched bridge, Bow Bridge (one of the most photographed sites in Central Park), or the elegant Conservatory Gardens, with their imposing iron gates and verdant canopy. Of course, after your wedding ceremony, there is so much to do in the city that doesn’t sleep. The best thing about New York is that you can get discover a bevy of scenic spots, and return home with a wealth of memories of one of the most vibrant, exciting cities in the world. If you are planning on making New York your choice for a honeymoon as well as a wedding, consider indulging in these romantic experiences:
- Take a night cruise and see Manhattan at its most brilliant: Enjoy a luxury dinner as you sail along the Hudson River, aboard a luxury yacht. The New York Lights City Dinner Cruise will delight connoisseurs with a four-course dinner (featuring delights such as filet mignon, wild salmon etc.), as you sail past some of the City’s most iconic monuments (including the impressive Statue of Liberty).
- Take a romantic stroll through The Met Cloisters: These gorgeous gardens, ensconced in Fort Tryon Park, is the part of the Met Museum which is dedicated to medieval European gardens, as well as art and architecture. Tapestries, illuminated manuscripts and stained glass will fascinate you for hours. A must-see work in the Cloisters is the series of tapestries donated by John D. Rockefeller Jr. Known as The Hunt of the Unicorn, the tapestries are made of metallic thread, wool and silk and they are famed for their detailed depiction of medieval flowers.
- Take a carriage ride: Romantic carriage rides have been featured in a host of Hollywood films, and they make for great photographic opportunities. Carriage rides can be enjoyed in Central Park as well as outside the Park, and they run from early in the morning until around midnight.
- Skating in the Rockefeller Center: This skating rink is arguable one of the most famous in the world, once again because of the starring role it has played in many films. There are many other things to do after skating, since the Rockefeller Center is home to famous statues (such as Atlas and Prometheus), and of course, the imposing Christmas tree that lights up the city with its magic and mystery.
- Experience an adrenalin rush at the Brooklyn Boulders rock climbing facility: Not all couples want to just hold hands and have a romantic picnic; for some couples, a honeymoon would be nothing without a little adventure! Head for Brooklyn Boulders if climbing is your thing – take part in everything from bouldering to auto-belay, top-roping and lead climbing, or take a fitness, capoeira, yoga or acroyoga class. The center is supervised and completely safe, though if you are worried about a possible injury, just make sure you are covered for any possible accidents. The center is built for beginners and advanced climbers alike, though, so this experience is really all about fun rather than fear.
- Enjoy the view from the top of the Empire State Building: It is difficult to think of the Empire State without our minds conjuring up images of films like An Affair to Remember, in which the building plays such an important role in the relationship between the two main characters (played by Deborah Kerr and Cary Grant). The building itself is a beautiful exponent of architecture, but the view it offers makes it easy to fall in love with New York over and over again.
There are so many romantic things to do in New York that it would be impossible to come up with a definitive list of must-see sites. It all ultimately depends on your mood – how active or relaxed you wish to be, and on your idea of what romance involves. A simple walk through Central Park, or a quiet picnic can be all you need, for ultimately, where there is love, every place is filled with romance.